The below is a list of different applications and books I have come across, some of which I have used.
Software and Apps
- Stellarium – Free Brilliant planetarium software, useful for predicting where planets and stars will be at a specific time.
DSLR Camera Control
- DigiCamControl – Free software to control a DSLR camera remotely.
- BackyardNikon – Purchased software to control a DSLR camera.
Image Stacking / Editing
- Registax – Free software used to stack images or video frames to create high detail images.
- DeepSkyStacker – Another free software used to stack images to create high detail images.
- PixInsight – An expensive bit of software but designed specifically for astrophotography.
- GIMP – Funny name, but a decent image editing software for those who cannot afford Photoshop or other paid for image editing software.
- Backyard Red – very useful bit of software to alter the colour of your laptop screen to red, helping to preserve your night vision.
- Mobile Observatory – A Great app with lots of facts and details about the night sky.
- Astro Panel – Free Astronomy weather forecasting app for Android, not really the most accurate but gives you an idea.
- SkyMap – Free interactive skymap from Google for both smart phones or tablets
- Turn Left At Orion – A roadmap for the skies (Spiral Bound Edition)